Monday, March 10, 2008

Resolved: As the total population of human beings grow, the value of an individual life falls.

Written October, 2007; Never ever read aloud to an audience

I’m speaking against this resolution, and I’ll attack it from different philosophical aspects.
First, the religious aspect. Many world religions reject the idea of the murder or death of any creature. The Roman Catholic Church itself prohibits the use of contraceptives for this reason. Even semen is considered sacred.

Now, in regard to population, the Bible says something about this. Cain slew Abel at a time when there were very few people on planet earth. This illustrates that one human may see another as being unworthy of life, regardless of the low population of their group. Of course, God disagrees with Cain, and punishes him. Therefore, we must acknowledge that in figuring this resolution out, we must take an objective, not subjective route. This is because a subjective POV is subject to opinion rather than fact.

So, what if the world is inherently meaningless? What if we merely exist in a world without God? Consider that, even if you disagree. In this case, there is no God to set the value of human life. So, now, I set out to define to value of a human life in an atheistic context.
Imagine that I’m 5 years old. Yeah high, big dimples, curly hair. And I’m playing with a bouncy ball on the sidewalk. And I fumble the bouncy ball, and the ball bounces onto the street, and I run after it. And a truck hits me. (Mime this, fall)

So, I’m dead. Or I died long ago. In any case, I wouldn’t matter to you people because you never met me.

But despite this, my life would still have value. It would still affect yours; or, at least, its lack of affect would affect you. Ladies and gentlemen, every resolution in this stump speech hat was written by me. When you go up here tonight, every word you say has been influenced by me. If I were dead, you wouldn’t be doing this stump speech night. My life has had an affect on the world, and it has had an affect on you.

If I were dead, obviously, somebody else would be speaking here tonight. Maybe (name people in the audience) Mr. K---, Ms. D----, Ms. C-----, Mr. Ed. You’d be doing something differently right now if it weren’t for me. Likewise, if our roles were reversed, I’d be doing something differently if it weren’t for you.

And even if we believe that our actions we have no meaning, they do have meaning. Our lives have meaning by virtue of our existence.

(turn to Dr. F-------) Dr. F-------, didn’t you and Ms. S---- used to date? And wouldn’t you say that both of you enriched each other’s lives for the better?

(Wait for reply. Kiss Dr. F------- on the forehead.)

Doctor, your life has meaning, as a cab driver’s live has meaning, as a politician’s live has meaning, as a baby’s life has meaning. And I thank you for existing, and I thank you for affect, influence my life, and I thank you all.

Thank you.

No comments: