Saturday, December 6, 2008

A definition of Dangerous Idealogy

I.
He said, I hope they don't catch Bin Laden before the election, or it would hurt Obama. This statement uttered sometime in June. I worked with this man in a certain job, and urged by curiosity and the tightness in my stomach, I asked why he believed that Osama Bin Laden's capture would hurt Barack Obama's chances. Co-worker said that an apprehension would put the GOP in a positive light. Obama would lose the election.

But, I said, wouldn't the capture of Al-Qaeda's leader lead to a great number of benefits?

No, he said, Bin Laden's threat is over rated. (Several miles south, in downtown Manhattan, exists a giant hole.) Co-worker's ring phone: a rap song that blurted, "O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA!" Hardcore liberal. A real member of the group.

II.
The danger of ideology stems from an intense loyalty to a group. When group affiliation outweighs the application of the ideas, then the ideas lose ground. The group reigns supreme, but the ideas they spout retain the meaning of breaths.

No comments: